HKMA Revises Policy Manual and Returns for Reporting of Liquidity Risk
HKMA revised the Supervisory Policy Manual module LM-1 on regulatory framework for supervision of liquidity risk. HKMA also revised two returns and related completion instructions for reporting the statutory liquidity ratio: MA(BS)1E is return on liquidity position of an authorized institution and MA(BS)26 is the return on stable funding position of an authorized institution. The revisions were intended to update the regulatory requirements consequential to the commencement of the Banking (Liquidity) (Amendment) Rules 2019 and to incorporate certain provisions to keep pace with the latest development. The returns take effect from January 01, 2020.
The key changes to LM-1 are to:
- Provide guidance for authorized institutions in recognizing Basel-compliant listed ordinary shares and triple-B rated marketable debt securities as “level 2B assets” and “liquefiable assets” under the Liquidity Coverage Ratio (LCR) and the Liquidity Maintenance Ratio (LMR) respectively
- Provide an overview of the statutory liquidity requirements in respect of the Net Stable Funding Ratio (NSFR) and the Core Funding Ratio (CFR) and explain the approach and criteria adopted by HKMA for the designation of category 2A institutions which are subject to the CFR requirements
- Streamline the guidance on the disclosure of liquidity information by authorized institutions
The main changes to the two returns for reporting the statutory liquidity ratios are to:
- Include Basel-compliant listed ordinary shares and triple-B rated marketable debt securities as “level 2B assets” and “liquefiable assets” in the calculation of LCR and LMR respectively
- Implement a required funding requirement on total derivative liabilities in the calculation of NSFR and CFR
Effective Date: January 01, 2020 (Returns)
Keywords: Asia Pacific, Hong Kong, Banking, Liquidity Risk, LCR, NSFR, Supervisory Policy Manual, Statutory Liquidity Ratio, MA(BS)26, MA(BS)1E, Reporting, Banking Liquidity Rules, HKMA
Senior practitioner in asset and liability management (ALM) and liquidity risk who assists banking clients in advancing their treasury and balance sheet management objectives
Skilled market researcher; growth strategist; successful go-to-market campaign developer
Works with financial institutions, regulatory experts, business analysts, product managers, and software engineers to drive regulatory solutions across the globe.
Previous ArticleCPMI and IOSCO Outline Lessons Learned on Cooperation Among FMIs
FINMA Approves Merger of Credit Suisse and UBS
The Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority (FINMA) has approved the takeover of Credit Suisse by UBS.
BOE Sets Out Its Thinking on Regulatory Capital and Climate Risks
The Bank of England (BOE) published a working paper that aims to understand the climate-related disclosures of UK financial institutions.
OSFI Finalizes on Climate Risk Guideline, Issues Other Updates
The Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions (OSFI) is seeking comments, until May 31, 2023, on the draft guideline on culture and behavior risk, with final guideline expected by the end of 2023.
APRA Assesses Macro-Prudential Policy Settings, Issues Other Updates
The Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) published an information paper that assesses its macro-prudential policy settings aimed at promoting stability at a systemic level.
BIS Paper Examines Impact of Greenhouse Gas Emissions on Lending
BIS issued a paper that investigates the effect of the greenhouse gas, or GHG, emissions of firms on bank loans using bank–firm matched data of Japanese listed firms from 2006 to 2018.
HMT Mulls Alignment of Ring-Fencing and Resolution Regimes for Banks
The HM Treasury (HMT) is seeking evidence, until May 07, 2023, on practicalities of aligning the ring-fencing and the banking resolution regimes for banks.
MFSA Sets Out Supervisory Priorities, Issues Reporting Updates
The Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) outlined its supervisory priorities for 2023
German Regulators Issue Multiple Reporting Updates for Banks
Deutsche Bundesbank published the nationally deactivated validation rules for the German Commercial Code (HGB) users on the taxonomy 3.2, which became valid from December 31, 2022
BCBS Report Examines Impact of Basel III Framework for Banks
The Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS) published results of the Basel III monitoring exercise based on the June 30, 2022 data.
PRA Consults on Prudential Rules for "Simpler-Regime" Firms
Among the recent regulatory updates from UK authorities, a key development is the first-phase consultation, from the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA), on simplifications to the prudential framework that would apply to the simpler-regime firms.