Featured Product

    RBI Amends HQLA Requirement for Computing LCR of Banks

    September 27, 2018

    RBI amended the requirement of Level 1 High Quality Liquid Assets (HQLA) for computing the liquidity coverage ratio (LCR) of banks. The LCR computation is a part of the RBI's Basel III framework on liquidity standards, which covers LCR, liquidity risk monitoring tools, and LCR disclosure standards. The change is effective from October 01, 2018.

    At present, the assets allowed as the Level 1 High Quality Liquid Assets (HQLAs) for the purpose of computing the LCR of banks include government securities in excess of the minimum Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR) requirement. Within the mandatory SLR requirement, Level 1 HQLA also include (i) government securities to the extent allowed by RBI under Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) [presently 2% of the bank's Net Demand and Time Liabilities (NDTL)] and (ii) under Facility to Avail Liquidity for Liquidity Coverage Ratio (FALLCR) [presently 11% of the bank's NDTL]. It has been decided to permit banks with effect from October 01, 2018, to reckon government securities held by them up to another 2% of their NDTL, under FALLCR within the mandatory SLR requirement, as Level 1 HQLA for the purpose of computing their LCR. Hence, the carve-out from SLR, under FALLCR will now be 13%, taking the total carve out from SLR available to banks to 15% of their NDTL. For the purpose of LCR, banks shall continue to value such government securities reckoned as HQLA at an amount not greater than their current market value (irrespective of the category under which the security is held—that is, Held to Maturity/HTM, Available for Sale/AFS, or Held for Trading/HFT).

     

    Effective Date: October 01, 2018, 2018

     

    Keywords: Asia Pacific, India, Banking, Liquidity Risk, LCR, HQLA, Basel III, Statutory Liquidity Ratio, RBI

    Featured Experts
    Related Articles
    News

    APRA Consults to Standardize Submission Date for Quarterly Reporting

    APRA proposed to standardize quarterly reporting due dates for authorized deposit-taking institutions. The proposed standardized due date is 35 calendar days after the last day of the reference quarter, which will create a 14-calendar-day extension for credit unions and building societies.

    November 08, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    EBA Publishes Methodology and Draft Templates for Stress Tests in 2020

    EBA published a package for the 2020 EU-wide stress test exercise for banks.

    November 07, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    EC Publishes Results of Fitness Check of Reporting Requirements in EU

    EC published results of the fitness check of supervisory reporting requirements in financial services legislation in EU.

    November 07, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    BCBS Assesses NSFR and LE Rules in Argentina and China as Compliant

    BCBS published reports that assess the implementation of net stable funding ratio (NSFR) and large exposures, or LE, framework in Argentina and China.

    November 07, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    FSB Publishes Summary of Plenary Meeting in Paris

    At the meeting, the Plenary reviewed vulnerabilities in the global financial system, fintech developments (including developments in the crypto-asset markets), ongoing work of FSB, and the work program for 2020.

    November 07, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    HKMA Highlights Technology Initiatives at the Hong Kong FinTech Week

    HKMA co-organized, with InvestHK, the Hong Kong FinTech Week 2019, which was a five-day flagship fintech event that attracted thousands of attendees worldwide.

    November 06, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    ECB Report on Fallback Provisions in Contracts Referencing EURIBOR

    ECB published a report, by private sector working group on euro risk-free rates, presenting recommendations for fallback provisions in contracts for cash products and derivative transactions referencing EURIBOR.

    November 06, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    EC Regulation on Homogeneity of Underlying Exposures in Securitization

    EC published the Delegated Regulation 2019/1851 regarding the regulatory technical standards on the homogeneity of the underlying exposures in securitization.

    November 06, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    FSI Examines Regulatory Approaches on Climate Risk Assessment

    The Financial Stability Institute (FSI) of BIS published a paper that examines the regulatory approaches being used for climate risk assessment in the insurance sector, in particular through enterprise risk management (ERM) frameworks.

    November 06, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    SRB Launches Q&A Process for Resolution Reporting

    SRB has setup a dedicated solution for raising questions on the resolution reporting.

    November 06, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    RESULTS 1 - 10 OF 4112