ESMA updated question and answer (Q&A) document on data reporting under the Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation (MiFIR). Additional Q&A updates involve investor protection topics, in addition to the transparency and market structures issues under Market in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID II) and MiFIR.
The updated Q&A include the following:
- Q&A on data reporting under MiFIR—The Q&As provide clarifications in relation to the requirements for submission of transaction reports and reference data under MiFIR. In particular, the Q&As relate to Complex Trades and National client identifiers for natural persons. The Q&As on complex trades provide new answers on reporting transactions and reference data for instruments where the execution results in a complex trade. The Q&A on national client identifiers for natural persons further clarifies how the three national identifiers—the Czech ID, the Liechtensteinian ID, and the Romanian ID—should be represented.
- Q&A on investor protection topics under MiFID/MiFIR—The updated Q&A document covers the topics of best execution, client categorization, provision of investment services and activities by third country firms, suitability and appropriateness, post-sale reporting, and underwriting and placement of a financial instrument.
- Q&A on transparency and market structures issues under MiFID/MiFIR—The updated Q&As provide clarification on the requirements to publish information on post-trade data 15 minutes after publication free of charge; the publication of transactions and how to populate the field publication date and time; pre-trade transparency requirements for voice trading systems and for request for quote systems; and Organized Trading Facilities (OTFs) arranging trading in strategies that include an equity leg.
The Q&A mechanism is a practical convergence tool used to promote common supervisory approaches and practices. It is intended to help investors and other market participants by providing clarity on the requirements.
- Q&A Update on Data Reporting
- Q&A Update on Investor Protection Topics
- Q&A Update on Transparency and Market Structures Issues
Keywords: Europe, EU, Securities, MiFID/MiFIR, Q&A, Data Reporting, Investor Protection, Market Structure Issues, ESMA
Previous ArticleGLEIF Updates Global Regulatory Activities on the Use of LEI
BoE published a statistical notice (Notice 2020/9) explaining the approach for treatment of payment holidays on the profit and loss return or Form PL.
BoE updated the known issues document for the statistical reporting Forms AS and FV.
FED announced individual capital requirements for 34 large banks and these requirements go into effect on October 01, 2020.
SRB published a set of documents to give operational guidance to banks on implementation of the bail-in tool.
BIS published an update on the G20 TechSprint Initiative, which was launched in April 2020 and aims to highlight the potential for technologies to resolve regulatory compliance (regtech) and supervisory (suptech) challenges.
OSFI published a letter that provides an update on the milestones for the implementation of the IFRS 17 standard on insurance contracts.
EBA updated the report on the implementation of selected COVID-19 policies.
The Financial Stability Institute (FSI) of BIS published a brief note that examines the supervisory challenges associated with certain temporary regulatory relief measures introduced by BCBS and prudential authorities in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
BCBS is consulting on the principles for operational resilience and the revisions to the principles for sound management of operational risk for banks.
BoE updated the reporting template for Form ER as well as the Form ER definitions, which contain guidance on the methodology to be used in calculating annualized interest rates.