ESMA updated question and answer (Q&A) document on data reporting under the Markets in Financial Instruments Regulation (MiFIR). Additional Q&A updates involve investor protection topics, in addition to the transparency and market structures issues under Market in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID II) and MiFIR.
The updated Q&A include the following:
- Q&A on data reporting under MiFIR—The Q&As provide clarifications in relation to the requirements for submission of transaction reports and reference data under MiFIR. In particular, the Q&As relate to Complex Trades and National client identifiers for natural persons. The Q&As on complex trades provide new answers on reporting transactions and reference data for instruments where the execution results in a complex trade. The Q&A on national client identifiers for natural persons further clarifies how the three national identifiers—the Czech ID, the Liechtensteinian ID, and the Romanian ID—should be represented.
- Q&A on investor protection topics under MiFID/MiFIR—The updated Q&A document covers the topics of best execution, client categorization, provision of investment services and activities by third country firms, suitability and appropriateness, post-sale reporting, and underwriting and placement of a financial instrument.
- Q&A on transparency and market structures issues under MiFID/MiFIR—The updated Q&As provide clarification on the requirements to publish information on post-trade data 15 minutes after publication free of charge; the publication of transactions and how to populate the field publication date and time; pre-trade transparency requirements for voice trading systems and for request for quote systems; and Organized Trading Facilities (OTFs) arranging trading in strategies that include an equity leg.
The Q&A mechanism is a practical convergence tool used to promote common supervisory approaches and practices. It is intended to help investors and other market participants by providing clarity on the requirements.
- Q&A Update on Data Reporting
- Q&A Update on Investor Protection Topics
- Q&A Update on Transparency and Market Structures Issues
Keywords: Europe, EU, Securities, MiFID/MiFIR, Q&A, Data Reporting, Investor Protection, Market Structure Issues, ESMA
Previous ArticleIAIS Publishes Newsletter for March 2018
EC published Regulation 2021/25 that addresses amendments related to the financial reporting consequences of replacement of the existing interest rate benchmarks with alternative reference rates.
BIS published a bulletin, or a note, that examines the cyber threat landscape in the context of the pandemic and discusses policies to reduce risks to financial stability.
HM Treasury, also known as HMT, has updated the table containing the list of the equivalence decisions that came into effect in UK at the end of the transition period of its withdrawal from EU.
EBA published an erratum for technical package on phase 1 of the reporting framework 3.0.
APRA updated a frequently asked question (FAQ), for authorized deposit-taking institutions, on the measurement of credit risk weighted assets.
EBA published the quarterly risk dashboard, along with the results of the Risk Assessment Questionnaire survey among 60 banks and 15 market analysts.
ECB concluded the public consultation on the introduction of a digital euro in EU.
ECB published a guide that sets out the supervisory approach to consolidation in the banking sector.
The SRB Chair Elke König published an article setting out work priorities for 2021.
FDIC has selected 11 technology companies—including BearingPoint, Fed Reporter, Inc, and S&P Global Market Intelligence, LLC—for inclusion in the third and final phase of the rapid prototyping competition.