Featured Product

    RBI Amends Level 1 HQLA Requirement for Computing LCR of Banks

    June 15, 2018

    RBI amended the requirement of Level 1 High Quality Liquid Assets (HQLA) for computing the liquidity coverage ratio (LCR) of banks. The LCR computation is a part of the RBI's Basel III framework on liquidity standards, which covers LCR, liquidity risk monitoring tools, and LCR disclosure standards. The change is effective from the date of this circular—that is, June 15, 2018.

    At present, the assets allowed as the Level 1 HQLA for the purpose of computing the LCR of banks include government securities in excess of the minimum Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR) requirement. Within the mandatory SLR requirement, Level 1 HQLA also include (i) Government securities to the extent allowed by RBI under Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) [presently 2% of the bank's Net Demand and Time Liabilities (NDTL)] and (ii) under Facility to Avail Liquidity for Liquidity Coverage Ratio (FALLCR) [presently 9% of the bank's NDTL]. It has been decided to permit banks, with effect from the date of this circular, to reckon government securities held by them up to another 2% of their NDTL, under FALLCR within the mandatory SLR requirement, as Level 1 HQLA for the purpose of computing their LCR. Hence, the carve-out from SLR, under FALLCR will now be 11%, taking the total carve out from SLR available to banks to 13% of their NDTL. For the purpose of LCR, banks shall continue to value such government securities reckoned as HQLA at an amount not greater than their current market value (irrespective of the category under which the security is held—that is, Held to Maturity/HTM, Available for Sale/AFS, or Held for Trading/HFT).

     

    Effective Date: June 15, 2018

    Keywords: Asia Pacific, India, Banking, Liquidity Risk, Basel III, LCR, HQLA, Statutory Liquidity Ratio, RBI

    Featured Experts
    Related Articles
    News

    FED Adopts Proposal to Implement Reporting Form for SCCL

    FED adopted a proposal to implement the Single-Counterparty Credit Limits (SCCL) reporting form (FR 2590; OMB No. 7100-NEW).

    November 20, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    FED Proposes to Extend Initial Compliance Dates Under SCCL Rule

    FED published a proposal to extend, by 18 months, the initial compliance dates for foreign banks subject to the single-counterparty credit limit (SCCL) rule.

    November 20, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    CBIRC to Strengthen Supervisory and Policy Support for SME Services

    CBIRC released a notification on strengthening supervision and guidance to enhance the quality and efficiency of financial services for "small and micro-enterprises" (SMEs).

    November 20, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    APRA Publishes Approach to Regulating and Supervising GCRA Risks

    APRA published an information paper that sets out a more intensive regulatory approach to transform governance, culture, remuneration, and accountability (GCRA) practices across the prudentially regulated financial sector.

    November 19, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    US Agencies Update Rule on Derivative Contracts Exposure Calculation

    US Agencies (FDIC, FED, and OCC) announced a final rule updating the way certain banking organizations are required to measure counterparty credit risk for derivative contracts under their regulatory capital rules.

    November 19, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    US Agencies Finalize Rule to Amend Treatment of HVCRE Exposures

    US Agencies (FDIC, FED, and OCC) finalized a rule to modify the treatment of high volatility commercial real estate (HVCRE) exposures, as required by the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection (EGRRCP) Act.

    November 19, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    US Agencies Finalize Changes to Rule on Supplementary Leverage Ratio

    US Agencies (FDIC, FED, and OCC) finalized changes to the capital requirement for banking organizations predominantly engaged in custodial activities, as required by the Economic Growth, Regulatory Relief, and Consumer Protection (EGRRCP) Act.

    November 19, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    IAIS Consults on Guidance on Liquidity Risk Management for Insurers

    IAIS is seeking feedback on the draft application paper on liquidity risk management for insurers.

    November 19, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    IAIS Publishes Application Paper on Recovery Planning

    IAIS published the final application paper on recovery planning, along with the resolution of comments on the draft application paper.

    November 18, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    News

    FSB Publishes Summary of November Meeting of RCG for MENA Region

    FSB published a summary of the November meeting of the Regional Consultative Group (RCG) for Middle East and North Africa (MENA).

    November 17, 2019 WebPage Regulatory News
    RESULTS 1 - 10 OF 4174